Barnard and Westwood has a celebrated history of over 100 years in business and a long legacy as a responsible and high-quality company. Our unrivalled levels of repeat business and customer retention testify to the strong relationships formed with customers.
- We will continue to be responsive and proactive towards our customers’ needs and align with their business aspirations and objectives
- We will register and resolve any customer complaints in accordance with our high standards of service
Working in manufacturing, our craftsmen and women are such a vital part of our organisation and produce the beautiful work we deliver to our customers. As a business we are committed to continuing to provide a healthy, safe, inclusive and creative working environment that respects equality and diversity and that supports people in reaching their ambitions and goals.
- Continuing Professional Development:
All staff in the company have access to funding to attend external courses. This has included courses ranging from Japanese bookbinding, improved spoken and written English lessons and Business Management certifications amongst others.
- Health & Safety during the Pandemic:
Throughout the pandemic Barnard & Westwood has been committed to supporting staff and keeping them safe. The business has ensured Covid test kits, masks and hand sanitiser have been made available to all staff and the workplace is cleaned regularly to keep work stations clean and safe. Social distancing measures and one-way systems were in place and, during the early stages of the pandemic, staff were kept on furlough or encouraged to work from home wherever possible to reduce numbers in the workshop and keep staff safe.
- Apprentice training:
Over the past 5 years we have recruited and trained up 6 different apprentices across a multitude of skills. On the back of the pandemic our intention is to continue to grow our apprenticeship scheme to train up further bookbinders and printers.
We understand that our business doesn’t stop at the front door; it extends into our neighbouring communities, through our supply chain and leaves a legacy in the tangible and natural environment. We have consciously sought to blur the distinction between business and society because we understand that the way in which we operate and the resources that we use can have a much wider benefit.
This is derived through greater appreciation of our customer needs, reduction in operating costs associated with lower environmental impacts, lending support to the charities we have an affinity with and volunteering our time with local people and organisations.
We are very proud to have supported numerous worthwhile causes over the years including:
- Movember Foundation – https://uk.movember.com/
- Breast Cancer UK – https://www.breastcanceruk.org.uk/
- The Worshipful Company of Stationers & Newspaper Makers – https://www.stationers.org/
- The Queen Elizabeth Scholarship Trust (QEST) – https://www.qest.org.uk/
- The Royal Warrant Holders Association (RWHA) & The RWHA Charity Fund – https://www.royalwarrant.org/
- Inspiring The Future – https://www.inspiringthefuture.org/by-appointment/
Given the high standards we hold ourselves to, it is imperative our suppliers are also held to the same level to ensure transparency and inclusiveness.
- We will ensure we have an inclusive procurement process that is open and ethical and recognises a diverse base of suppliers in the marketplace.
- We shall ensure a high level of business performance while minimising and effectively managing risk ensuring that we uphold the values of honesty, partnership and fairness in our relationships with all our stakeholders.
- We shall encourage suppliers and contractors to adopt responsible business policies and practices.
- Help to raise standards and benchmarks in the industry by promoting CSR activities and partnerships and communicating our CSR values to our staff.
As a business, we will continue to work towards minimising waste and the environmental impacts of our activities and ensure continuous improvement in our environmental performance.
- All staff are encouraged to travel by public transport where possible or work from home. The result is now that 100% of the company commute where necessary via public transport
- Our local deliveries are made via our zero-emission fully electric delivery vehicle. We look to renew our delivery vehicle every 3 years in order to take advantage of the latest technology and reduce our impact on the environment. Our latest model has a range of over 200 miles allowing us to fulfil a greater number of deliveries through a zero-emission option
- Both the factory and office are fitted with separated recycling bins and all waste is recycled or reused wherever possible.
- Barnard & Westwood is Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®) certified (FSC-C144591)
- As part of our commitment to reducing our environmental impact across our entire business we partnered with FoilCo and joined their ‘Zero Foil To Landfill’ initiative – https://www.foilco.com/environment/
- Despite already using low energy CFL lighting across the business, we have replaced 80% of the lighting to LED. This drastically reduces our energy consumption across the building. This is an ongoing project as we aim to have 100% of the lighting switched over by 2023.